Donate Anyone?

Most people find political fundraising to be unseemly.  There is a lot of talk about ‘getting the money out of politics’.  We all have our own opinions about this topic.

If you have never run for office, you are blissfully unaware of the regulations, requirements, and rules one must comply with at all times.  There is reporting requirements before you ever announce your desire to hold a public service position.  The process can be confusing.  It may dissuade individuals  from their dream of service.  Many people qualify for, run, and obtain the position all without raising any money at all!  There are many considerations to be made about the position, population of area, etc.

There is no question that the process can be difficult.  Once you make the decision to run for office, it’s a good idea to consult with your local Election Clerk.  They are a wealth of information, and are happy to share.

Now that I have made my announcement to run for city council in the City of Shasta Lake, I need to solicit contributions to support that effort.  Here is a shortened version of the contribution Rules:

“Political donations are not tax deductible.
Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) Rules:
Multiple contributions from the same individual must be added together to determine the total amount.
Total Contributions under $25: Your name will be recorded in the committee records, but is not reported to the FPPC.
Total Contributions between $25 – $99.99: Your name and address will be recorded in the committee records, but is not reported to the FPPC.
Total Contributions of $100 or over: Your name, address, occupation and employer’s name are recorded in the committee records and is required to be reported to the FPPC on form 460
Contributions of $100 or more must be made by written instrument and may not be made or received in cash. In addition, contributions of $100 or more must be returned if the contributor’s name, address, occupation, and employer are not obtained within 60 days of receipt of the contribution.
Individuals (including spouses) may make separate contributions from a joint checking account.”

More information can be found at


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s